- Trauma leaves its mark on immune system genes – health – 06 May 2010 – New Scientist
Traumatic experiences can scar for life, both mentally and physically. Now it seems they even leave chemical marks on DNA – in areas responsible for immune functions and memory.
The result could help explain why people with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), including some soldiers and victims of rape or earthquake, often have poorer physical health years later, as well as memory problems. It could also lead to a new method for diagnosing the disorder.
- Hot new features uncovered in iPhone OS 4.0 beta 3 « Boy Genius Report
- The Man Who Tried To Manage Murdoch | Business | Vanity Fair
Vivid account of Murdoch take-over of WSJ and the stiffing of the incumbent editor
- Gallery – Light shows, ray guns and blades: the laser is 50 – Image 1 – New Scientist
"Do you expect me to talk?" "No Mr Bond, I expect you to die": Happy 50th birthday, laser
- Is water the key to cheaper nanoelectronics? – tech – 06 May 2010 – New Scientist
The key to cheaper nanoelectronics (clue: it’s a liquid we all like to drink. Not gin)
- 221b Baker Street
Accurate re-creation of Sherlock Holme’s rooms based on readings from all novels -
- PLoS ONE and botanical pioneer helps to bring open-access taxonomy a step closer « everyONE – the PLoS ONE community blog
PLoS ONE and botanical pioneer helps to bring open-access taxonomy a step closer – a subtle but important victory #oa
- t r u t h o u t | Slick Operator: The BP I’ve Known Too Well
The BP I’ve Known Too Well not a black swan but a pattern of irresponsibility says greg palast
- BBC News – Novel material ‘mimics muscles’
Scientists have created an artificial material that mimics the tough, stretchy properties of of muscle.
- Scientists create human embryonic stem cells with enhanced pluripotency
Scientists create human embryonic stem cells with enhanced pluripotency
- Genetic link between both types of ALS discovered
Genetic link between both types of ALS discovered
- Macmillan: Meet Author(s): Cory Doctorow
Duh! Left #Austin, #Texas out of my list of upcoming tour-stops!
- Accidental Penis
If all seems dark and sinister later this evening, amuse yourself with the brand new Accidental Penis blog:
- Johann Hari: What we’ll lose if we reject Labour -
Johann Hari, Commentators – The IndependentWell, here’s my final, election day column:
- Op-Ed Columnist – New Alarm Bells About Chemicals and Cancer – NYTimes.com
Presidential panel issues remarkable report: eat organic, filter water to avoid cancer. My colmn:
- How dark chocolate may guard against brain injury from stroke
clearly, this is CRUCIAL scientific research.
- Yummly – Think outside the recipe box.
Grokking Yummly, pretty cool idea
- Testing Predictions From Personality Neuroscience:… [Psychol Sci. 2010] – PubMed result
Testing Predictions From Personality Neuroscience: Brain Structure & the Big Five New Phrenology: extraversion=medial OFC
- Mind Hacks: fMRI lie detection and the Wonder Woman problem
fMRI lie detection and the Wonder Woman problem.
- Field Research Around the Globe – Scientist at Work Blog – NYTimes.com
The NYT launched a new blog today written by
‘Scientist at Work’ -
- Chronicling Science as Journey – Dot Earth Blog – NYTimes.com
On the merits of chronicling science as a journey, not a set of "facts": #media #wjchat
- Missing Photo | TweetPhoto
Dancing with the human energized artificial intelligence device at #w2e HTTP:// heaid.com #heaid
- Announcing A Book Apart | Jason Santa Maria
- Danny Dyer row: If this was an ‘error’, what about the rest of Zoo’s content? | Comment is free | The Guardian
Danny Dyer row: If this was an ‘error’, what about the rest of Zoo’s content?
- Five Cities Get Free Civic Apps Through Code for America
Mashable scoops the announcement of the 5 cites partnering with @CodeforAmerica to build a civic software stack
- The future of the Internet is here: non-English extensions hit the Web
The future of the Internet is here: non-English extensions hit the Web – only took 30-odd years, too #web #tld
- Darwin Got It Going On – Opinionator Blog – NYTimes.com
Darwin Got It Going On
Digest powered by RSS Digest